Skip to main content
Topic: Buying a 1999 Allure with high miles (Read 96 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a 1999 Allure with high miles

Hello all,
My wife and I are excited to join the Country Coach family.  We are new to motor coaches but have been camping (pull behind camper) for years.  We have now decided to try the motor coach world.  With our very limited budget we were forced to buy a newer gas lesser brand coach or an older quality brand Diesel pusher (Country Coach) with higher miles.  We really wanted a diesel because we plan to pull a toad through the Tennessee Mountains on a regular basis. 

We have settled on a meticulously maintained 1999 Allure M-330hp 36' slide (pick it up this Friday).  The one thing that has us a little nervous is that it 4958 hrs on the motor/transmission equating to approximately 223,000 miles.  The previous owner has owned this coach for the past 20 years and had no intentions of selling until a bad turn of his health.  In fact, the coach was totally remodeled in 2018 including ...

-New plank flooring
-New window and main 21' awning.  Replaced with Sunbrella not cheap vinyl.
-New high end microwave/convection oven
-Fridge (double door) cooling system replaced
-Tile back splashes in kitchen and bathroom
-New residential faucets in kitchen and bathroom
-new porcelain toilet
-new cabinet hardware thought
-New TVs front and back
-Couch reupholstered
-New leather recliner and ottoman
-Driver and passenger seats reupholstered
-New fresh water pump

Mechanical items replaced in the last 5 years...

-New Suspension air bags front and rear
-New Magnum inverter
-New PRXB exhaust brake
-All batteries 2 years old
-Silverleaf engine digital monitoring system
-Blue ox towing system air brake controller

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something.

Also included with the sale is all camping gear and anything associated with traveling in a motor coach.  This is due to the gentleman's failing health and the realization that traveling in a motor coach is no longer in his future (this actually saddens me).  He and his wife are VERY kind people and it's obvious this coach has a lot of meaning to them.  He has records of everything but maintenance because this is something he has done on his own.  He told me that his regiment was to change oil and all filters once per year.  He has explained that though he has had the coach looked over by a professional a few times over the years just to be sure nothing was needing attention, it has never needed any major engine or drive train repairs. 

I feel like with all the updates we are getting a very fair deal (right in the middle of NADA pricing).  The exterior/paint is in great shape, still shines, with very little clear coat issues (almost none).  The engine looks like you could eat off of it.  There is almost zero rust to be found anywhere on the coach because it has lived it's life in a very dry climate.  I really like the fact that it has only had 2 owners and one for the last 20 years (if you keep something that long I would assume you maintain it).  I also like the fact that he was not planning on selling it so most likely not just dumping a bag of troubles.

Though my wife and I have pretty much (99%) have committed to purchasing and picking this coach up this Friday I would REALLY like your opinions.  I'm good with trouble shooting and can fix a lot but serious issues with a 8.3 Cummins is going to most likely be out of my realm.

Should we be concerned???
Does this sound like a fair price???

Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Buying a 1999 Allure with high miles

Reply #1
That motor/transmission combination should be good for at least a million miles with regular maintenance.

Lots of other things can wear out and need replacing but your drive train at 223,000 miles is still a youngster.

Re: Buying a 1999 Allure with high miles

Reply #2
There have been problems with the CAPS fuel system that I believe your 330 HP engine utilizes.  Basically the stock Cummins fuel transfer pump  starts leaking and or sucking air which aerates the fuel reaching the injection pump, which then destroys the injection pump. The install of a new injection pump should be done by Cummins or a competent licensed dealer and is very expensive. I believe around 9K  There are a couple of systems of more powerful transfer pump out there to replace the stock transfer pump. These new after market kits consist of  a stronger transfer pump that de aerates the fuel before it reaches the injection pump. Then again, I believe there are many coach owners who have NOT  updated there transfer pump systems and have many trouble free miles on their coaches. This is a possible problem that you should be aware of before you purchase. I purchased a 1999 CC with 350 HP Cummins and my transfer pump started leaking immediately after purchase and I had the FASS fuel pump system installed and I have about 5,000 trouble free miles since the install. It cost me approximately $3000 total. $1500 parts and $1500 labor.  There are several great threads on this site and others which document the install of these systems that should be read by any potential buyer. Search Marks FASS fuel pump install, and Air Dog transfer pump install.
Dave
99 Country Coach, Intrigue, 36'
Cummins 350 ISC 8.3
SE Arizona