Skip to main content
Topic: 2006 Inspire Cat C-9 intermittent coolant leak (Read 976 times) previous topic - next topic

2006 Inspire Cat C-9 intermittent coolant leak

I recently purchased a 2006 Inspire with the Cat C-9. When I drive the coach a short distance and the engine doesn't get over about 160 degrees, when I stop and shut the engine down it leaks coolant from the area underneath the radiator. If I drive the coach long enough to get the engine to full operating temperature I don't have a coolant leak when I shut the engine down. I've looked over under and around the radiator area as best I can but I cannot spot the leak. Anyone have a similar issue they resolved?

I live in the Sacramento area and would appreciate any recommendations on there to get coach serviced.

Thanks Roger

Re: 2006 Inspire Cat C-9 intermittent coolant leak

Reply #1
Hello, did you ever get this resolved? Wondering what the fix was?
Ken Smith
2006 Inspire 360 36' #51748

Re: 2006 Inspire Cat C-9 intermittent coolant leak

Reply #2
These symptoms are indicative of the radiator issues common on many coaches.  There are really only two choices, remanufacture or, replace.  So far my remanufacture is holding up well, after 7 years.
I have read that the true issue is the way the radiators were mounted.  There is a significant difference in the coefficients of expansion between the steel mounting frame and the aluminum radiator.  Thus, the radiator literally pulled itself apart during the heating / cooling cycles.  Make sure any repair includes modification of the mounting supports to allow freedom of movement.
Dale Collier
05 Inspire 53477