Skip to main content
Topic: 97 allure 8.3 cummins (Read 1537 times) previous topic - next topic

97 allure 8.3 cummins

I’m new to diesel ownership. My 97 allure runs great but has developed an intermittent problem. I’ve put a few thousand miles on this coach and it has done everything I’ve asked of it. While driving, I always watch my gauges. Recently I noticed the temp gauge rise quickly accompanied by a whine from the rear engine area. I reduced my speed a bit, the whine went away and the temp stabilized rapidly. It did this twice on a 2500 mile round trip. This week I I started a short 3 hour trip and made it about 20 miles before the whine reappeared and the temp rose quickly.  Slowed the rpm’s a bit and the whine and temp again stabilized. My wife forgot her purse. Thus we had return home to fetch it. Twice on the way home the symptoms reared their ugly head. Decided to bag this trip until I figured out the problem. This is the start of the process. Anyone got an opinion as to what’s going on. The temp rises rapidly but  never gets overly hot. My feeling is it involves the turbo. Any advice would be appreciated. Bob

Re: 97 allure 8.3 cummins

Reply #1
Bob,
What type of terrain were you in, hills, etc? I think what you are hearing is your radiator fan controller doing its thing. If you watch your temp gauge, do you notice the louder noise when the temp rises and then when the temp falls, the noise goes away? If so, that is normal.

The coach should run about 190 plus or minus. If the temp goes up into the 200 range, the fan controller will speed up the fan to cool things back down. Without knowing  your definition of "overly hot" is there is to much to assume.
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #2
I have same issue.  My coach 1998 Allure with Cummins 330ISC.  Temperature gauge would jump up to 210 degrees.  Just as quickly would come down to normal.  Someone in forum  suggested it was my thermostat.  I replaced and problem persisted.  I took coach to Cummins shop.  They hooked up computer, checked and they told me my temperature had not got to 210 degrees.  On my dash I also have a “red” light  temperature that should light if it gets too hot.  That red light has never come on, even when needle gauge goes to 210 or 220.  Mechanic has offered suggestion that I may have a ground issue, who knows?  But I do know that I am not “overheating”.  Maybe you are also not overheating   
Ed
1998 Allure
330 ISC Cummins

Reply #3
That may be the case for me as well. The noticeable whine that occurs when the temp goes up concerns me. Thanks for the help.

Reply #4
Sorry, I missed the reply from Don S. I’m in Florida , so no hills and the outside temp was  high 70s. My temp usually runs around 180 or so. When the temp goes up, it does not exceed 190. Maybe I’m just being overly cautious since it’s my first diesel. I’m going to try and reproduce this in the driveway today if I can get the engine to heat up enough so I can witness what’s happening in the back. Thank you. I’ll let you know.

Reply #5
Don't waste your time and fuel trying to get up to operating temps if you are not going to drive it.  Couple of things here. You say you normally see 180. That really isn't up to normal temp which is in the 190-195 ballpark. Also, if you were to really overheat, there is a red light on the dash and then there is the engine de-rate that will happen with an overheat. Me, personally,if it was my coach, I wouldn't worry about the conditions you described. Analog gauges are doing good if they read within 10% of actual. I solved the problem by going digital even my dash shows data in analog fashion.
Dash1.jpg
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #6
Don ,

Like your digital dash!  Is temp gauge  and other gauges more accurate now?
Larry B
2003 Intrigue
38’ Suite Escape  SESG
Dallas TX

Reply #7
Anything coming from the ECM is probably more correct. The data like temps comes from an analog sensor so the data is as good as the sensor. Here again there is a tolerance in the sensor so the data will be within a plus or minus 10-20%
'02 Intrigue #11427