Skip to main content
Topic: Easy Padded Ceiling Seam Wrinkle Repair (Read 83 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy Padded Ceiling Seam Wrinkle Repair

2005 Allure 470 Sunset Bay CC 31161 I just finished mitigating the padded ceiling "wrinkle" issue (caused by shrinkage) I had on my coach.  I hope this helps someone else trying to find a good solution without having to rework the entire padded ceiling.
First I carefully removed the old cherry 1 3/4" molding where the padded ceiling was wrinkled.  Then I cleaned all the old adhesive off the "T" plastic seam molding that the cherry molding had covered.  I purchased 2 1/4" plain molding because I couldn't find and exact replacement.  I used a router to cut the edges to match the original molding.  I went to Sherwin Williams and got a fantastic matched stain (custom mix - see pic below) for the cherry.  I simply bought plain unstained molding from Home Depot and used the stain from SW and I was amazed at the color match.  Before gluing the newly stained and sealed molding to the ceiling, I used a hair dryer to warm and gently smooth out the wrinkles in the padded ceiling.  I used contact cement to glue the padded ceiling back down after smoothing the wrinkles.  The new 2 1/4" molding was just enough wider that it covered any remaining evidence of wrinkles.  See picture below of the finished project. 
I wish I had taken pictures of how bad the wrinkled padded ceiling seam looked before.  The wrinkles are now totally covered.
Let me know if you have any question about any of my steps.
My coach has the Rain Song interior with cherry wood.  I love it!!